|If you are interested in learning more about the background and themes in my debut novel, CLIMBING THE
STAIRS, I strongly urge you to visit the novel's official website,
www.climbingthestairsbook.com. This website has several resources in addition to those above and has a
great deal of interesting information on my debut novel.
However, a warning - clicking on the link below will transport you away from this current site!
|Free downloadable teaching resources for Climbing the Stairs:
|Padma Venkatraman's debut was published by G.P. Putnam's Sons in hardcover in 2008 and by Speak,
another imprint of Penguin, in paperback. It has since been translated into Spanish (ViceVersa, entitled La
Escalera Prohibida) and Japanese (Hokusuisa).
* a memorable debut - Publishers Weekly, Starred Review
* intricate and convincing - Booklist, Starred review
* will capture the hearts and minds of many - VOYA, Starred review
* a fine, often heart-breaking novel - The Providence Journal
* a passionate story - India Currents
* excels in its detailed depiction of a Brahmin girlhood at a time of change - Kirkus
* poignant - SLJ
Climbing the stairs won several honors (ALA BBYA, NYPL Best Book, Bank Street College of Education Best
book, Booklinks Best New Book, NCSS/CBC Notable, PW flying start, PASLA Top 40, CLN Top 25, Capitol
Choice, CCBC Choice, Amelia Bloomer list selection, Booklist editor's choice BBYA), won multiple awards
(Julia Ward Howe Boston Authors Club award, ASTAL RI award) and was shortlisted for several more (state
awards in ME, UT, SC, NJ; Reading Across Rhode Island).
|CLIMBING THE STAIRS